Mitcon and his V240

Get to know the members of the community. Say g'day, post details and pics of your Great Wall vehicle!

Mitcon and his V240

Postby Mitcon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Howdy all,
guess it looks like I'm lucky first to introduce myself though I'm sure there will be a few of you who already know me. For those that don't know me though my name's Wayne, I live in Adelaide and own a V240 4WD dualcab. I was one of the early adopters buying mine last year in 2009, can't believe my Ute's almost a year old already: man times sure gets away from me.

I bought the Great Wall 4WD as my old one was getting tired and I love the freedom a 4WD allows with being able to get to more places. A real boon when you love wildlife photography and the great Australian outdoors and also useful for the wildlife rescue work I do. Back to the V240, I love mine and it has already taken me many places and given my family found memories to look back on.

Begining of the year I took it on a 8,000k trip (SA-Vic-Tas) which saw lots of interesting places but was mostly spent on Tassie having a blast. The Great Wall never missed a beat and still hasn't, anyhow how about a couple of pics.

We all love pics :mrgreen:

Couple of flex shots

Anyway, thats a couple for a start and I'm sure I'll add some more of all the things I have done to my Ute since I bought it. Please say G'day if you see me about on the forums or the street and if theres anything I can help with please ask, I'm always happy to chat.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Re: Mitcon and his V240

Postby emute » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:46 pm

Looking great Wayne - what make of canopy is that?
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Mitcon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks Emute, It's a Razorback steel canopy mate. One of the things I like most about what I've done to the Ute is the steel canopy and it wasn't as expensive as most people might think either. Yep, the canopy, custom bar work and also my GPS/sat-nav stereo are my fav mods so far.

I'll post more pics of some of the things I've done when I have time.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Mitcon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Got my Ute in for some work test fitting some goodies this week, it's looking very exciting. I hope to have some good news in the next few days :mrgreen:
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Mitcon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:46 am

Well at last a win on the diff locker situation, the guys at Opposite Lock and Harrop Engineering have been great at working through this with me and have been able to get a Detroit locker fitted to my rear diff. :mrgreen:

Very exciting news for me as my Utes really coming together now for me and it means theres a solution for those of us who want a diff lock. With some luck I'll be giving the Ute a workout this weekend so will be awesome to have the locker in, will try to get SWMBO out of the truck to take some pics.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby emute » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:55 am

Great stuff.. look forward to hearing how it works out
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Alz4x4 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:24 pm

That's fantastic news Wayne, I'd given up all hope after the 4wd systems saga with their "Lokka"! Do you think they will do a front one as well? Please let us know when you know mate......................
Alz4x4
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Mitcon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:41 am

Well folks the Diff lock is worth it's weight in gold I think after a bit of playing about yesterday. Went out with a few other 4WD's mostly Toyota's with a couple of Patrol's for a play in the mud and river crossings. I think the money was on the GW V240 not making it across the river when 2 bigger vehicles had trouble and needed snatching.

Well guess what :o hahaha, the Great Wall just toodled it's way across without even blinking :mrgreen: . I had the lowest clearance of the lot and thought to myself "not too shabby at all" and when you think about it I'm only running standard sized tyres at only 29". Then the really cool bit was my little V240 got to recover the Mighty 80Series Yota :twisted: from the same spot I just walked through. :lol:

The Great Wall Ute did quite good for the day though we didn't get to cover much ground as a group but there was one pretty extreme truck there and the only spot the Great Wall got stuck was a spot the monster truck got stuck as well, You Beauty!

One the road it handles very well, have to be careful putting your foot down on corners and turns on the road or the diff will do it's thing and lock. But other than that we didn't even notice it was there except we were able to pretty much do tractor pulls hehehe. So the Detroit IMO is a huge success in the Great Wall V240 and with it the V240 did even better than I had expected. I must say thanks once again to the guys at Opposite Lock and Harrop Engineering for their help in making a locker a reality of rthe V240.

Alan as to the front diff, at this stage it's not likely as the alxe spline sizing doesn't match up with anything but thats about all thats stopping one from being sorted out. If I can think of anything or work anything out I'll let folks know for certain, with that said though I doubt a front locker will be needed with the Detroit locker in the rear. It'd be nice for sure but unlikely to really be needed as long as you have one back wheel on the ground you have forward drive.

And for folks who prefer a manual locker theres good news as Opposite Lock should be able to sort one of those out now too most likely. But I prefer auto lockers myself, you don't get stuck and then try to work your way out, you just motor along on through. As to noise that people often comment on some of the auto lokka's I've not heard a single click or clank as yet and the way I normally drive I wouldn't even know it's there.

I got to rescue a friends Patrol this morning also after all that and all he could say or do was :shock: Sadly the wife wasn;t with me to take any pics as I had really hoped I would have loved to had photos of all this hehehe. I'll have to try and talk her into it next time, but I'm extremely happy with how it worked out. Was more money than I wanted to spend but I'm now more than happy and think it was well worth it.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby emute » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:19 pm

That's great news Wayne. I would have loved to have seen the look on the other guys' faces :).

OK, something else to add to my todo list now - bash plate a la Wayne, followed by diff lock a la Wayne. You've become quite the v240 pioneer. :)
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Mitcon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Well it's not so surprising really, a diff lock makes a huge difference so the Ute and myself can't take much credit really as it was the locker that made it easy. Good tyres, a locked diff and just picking the right line and away you go. Infact a auto locker makes it as simple as point and drive, the difference in traction is huge.

The other cars would have done just as well if they had lockers to be fair, not a cheap mod but makes a world of difference in how much further you will go. And with a vehicle like the V240 with a open diff it's easy to get stuck, most 4wd's these days have a LSD which helps but no such luck with the V240. That said the panel and under body protection are handy because you can go more places that are rougher and cause you some damage other wise lol. In my build up thread on the other forum someone posted a pic and vid of my Ute, the wife cringed when she heard the ute knocking on the large rocks :shock:
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Next

Return to Introduce yourself and showcase