Poll : Great Wall 4wd usage survey

Polls and surveys about various aspects of owning a Great Wall vehicle - some just for fun, others to gain feedback that can be passed on to relevant parties.

What is the most extreme driving your 4x4 GW has ever done?

Never off the bitumen
9%
Well formed dirt roads
9%
Forestry & National Park roads - pot holes & rough.
23%
Formed trails - rough with washouts, etc
27%
Beach sand
13%
Unformed track & cross-country
12%
Extreme rock hopping!
3%
Mud submarine/swamp monster
3%

Total votes : 130

Poll : Great Wall 4wd usage survey

Postby emute » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:31 pm

We Great Wall owners are a diverse bunch in terms of how we use our vehicles. For some of us, it's our daily drive around city streets and nothing else, for others the daily drive may take them through terrain resembling Mordor - and that's just getting to work. Others use their GW's exclusively for getting down and dirty or for a bit of weekend fun at the beach.

So, what's the most extreme terrain your 4x4 Great Wall has ever tackled? - even if you've never taken it off the tar, you can still participate in this poll! If in the future you tackle something more challenging than your current "extremeness", you can always come back and change your selection.

If you wish, post a pic in this thread (just one - so make it your best) of an "extreme" moment too - but please bear in mind this is not a competition and "more extremer than thou" attitudes really don't have a place in this thread. This is just for a bit of fun and to see how everyone is using their GW's :).

(BTW, thanks to TheOddByte for suggesting this poll)

If you have suggestions for other polls, please visit this thread to make suggestions
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Re: Poll : Great Wall 4wd usage survey

Postby Mitcon » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Not sure if I should add rockhopping, rock/river chassis crunching action or what but I thought this bogpit pic would be a good start lol.

Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby emute » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:47 am

haha.. love that pic. People I come across who say GW's aren't a real 4WD, I show them that pic among a few others members have posted. Those photos have sold a few V240's I think.
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby deactivated140925 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 am

This is hard to quantify. I did some rock climbing up a river bed to get to a swimming hole outside Alice Springs. It was not the extreme rock hopping you see on 4WD TV buts my underside has never had so many bangs on it. So what is extreme to somebody is not extreme to others. As i am the chief driver, navigator, photographer, etc etc, I never get mutch chance to take the photos of the situations I have put the car in and through.

Also while this is just a lot of fun and no harm is intended, this topic may well turn out to become an "Anything you can do I can do better" area. Is that the image we want to display to the public at large? So I would be careful about the pictures that are uploaded. I dont want to put a dampner on this but we do have to consider that a lot of people think 4WD drivers are just rat bags that bugger the bush!!
deactivated140925
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby emute » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:06 am

Hi David,

I would hope that members don't have the "anything you can do.." attitude; so thanks for flagging it. Thanks also for flagging the environmental issue. I trust any photos posted here will be of situations where the area is designated for this kind of activity. I'd be the first person to frown upon activity where it's not.

If folks don't have pics, they don't have pics and poll votes don't need to be justified; the images are just an adjunct.

That said, on with the show :)
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Mitcon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 am

A good and fair point David,
I think the idea of the poll though besides a little fun is also to debunk the myth that GW vehicles shouldn't leave the blacktop. I too have done some creek/river bed crossings that while looking tame can be quite tricky indeed, while not "extreme" certainly qualifies I feel. I think when most people talk of 4WD extreme it's more the 4-6inch lifts and 33-35inch mudtyres, almost 4WD comp truck type set-ups while we're talking tourer set-up's and daily drivers.

The topic of photos of what people do in their 4WD's comes up often on 4WD forums, fact is I have no issue with it myself so long as people are 4WDing in places that are set aside for exactly that. There's alot of 4WD parks and private property about and people that are anti 4WD will use any excuse to their benefit. This is often blown out of proportion as in most things and 4WDer's and clubs actually do alot of good for forrests and tracks.

They don't all get out and destroy things as the media and other groups would have people think and infact help clean, control and repair alot of our bush and it's heritage etc. And certainly don't encourage folks to try and out-do each other as this isn't a competition but rather just sharing what you have done. We all buy these vehicles for different reasons and this helps the public at large see that there is many uses and abilities.

Most 4WD's are very able to negotiate a great deal of situations it's more often than not the driver and their skills which is the biggest holdback. 4WD's shouldn't be seen as a hoon or ratbags truck, they are very important to us here in Australia if we wish to see what this wonderful country has to offer. A great deal of what is out there needs a 4WD to be able to reach it safely and also to help educate the wowsers that are trying to close down tracks and locations as we are Australians and it's OUR country.

There is always a few ratbags that spoil the image but I don't think that means we should just cover up 4WD activities and have to sneak around or hide as that doesn't fix anything, what is better in my opinion is to educate and advise people of correct ways, clubs and places to do these type of things and most certainly to look after the environment while doing so and make sure it's there for future generations to enjoy.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away and off topic lol. This should just be fun and also give people who are looking to buy a 4WD a insight as to the fact GW 4WD's are as able as similar vehicles of other brands and not the toys that will shake apart on a maintained dirt road which some media/people would have folks believe. As to getting pics of our GW's doing their thing I know what you mean as most of what I have done it's the same thing. Either you alone or no-one wants to get out etc while the action is happening and to a point it also may not always be safe to do so. I know I have a hard time getting my other half into the ute for 4WDing and then once I do a even harder job of getting her out of it lol :lol:
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby emute » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:44 am

The issue of environment and 4x4'ing is a really important one - so I've started a dedicated thread on that topic:

4wd-tips/topic334.html
emute
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby rustyemz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:13 am

i dont no how to answer this poll as im not a die hard everyday off roader but i am off road most days not out thrashing around just on the land as i am a farmer so i encounter all types of conditions verry soft dirt bogy sloppy mud just slipry surface from showers up and down large hills over rocks down gravel roads thru water thru big washout ruts wen im out of town eg pine creek area across rough fields of ground that has been worked so very soft a strong match to beach driveing as some farms are also a sandy soil and after being ripped it becomes very soft but ah well if u get stuck u get the tractor to pull u out thats the beauty of being on the land great driveing experience and also can be alot of fun and u get paied for it haha :lol:
rustyemz
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Colin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:00 am

I've only crossed one River and it was not up much past the door sills :oops: ....no snorkel either. I have put my X240 through some long and deep black mud bog holes out the back of the Coorong in a place called Matin washpool, but I stick only to the main tracks into areas, never making my own tracks. Spent 2 weeks mud bashing in flooded western Qld last year and around then Echuca area that caused a problem with both bottom door body panel strips falling of with the weight of the mud, just held on with plastic lugs :? and now held in place with tek screws. Drove a fair way into the flooded Barmah Forest in Victoria last November, but chickend out after about a kilometre, and reversed back out all the way as I couldn't find a place to turn around lol { see image } My main 4WD use is in the area of the Onkaparinga Gorge where I conduct Park maintenance work two days a week, some hellish hill climbs and descents which make me very glad of low range 4WD. I personally dont feel confident in my X240 to do too much serious offroading,I honestly dont feel it's strong enough, but I certainly put it through more than a 2WD can do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Colin
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Alz4x4 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 am

New to 4 whl driving, learning as I go? How to reshape side steps in one easy lesson.
Attachments
2010.jpg
2010.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 3242 times

Cheers,
Al.
Alz4x4
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Next

Return to Great Wall Surveys And Polls