2012 V200 Timing belt failure - engine rebuild?????

Chat about engines, exhaust and fuel system related issues in Great Wall X240, V240, X200 and V200 vehicles

2012 V200 Timing belt failure - engine rebuild?????

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 am

First time user, happy to have this forum to discuss viability of rebuild. TIming belt replaced at 75k service. breakdown and tow to mechanic who on inspection seems the timing belt has failed (at 136k) and potential catastrophic engine failure. :cry:
Our mechanic cannot fix, but considering bringing home to find out full extent of damage and attempt rebuild. QUestion, has anybody attempted this, what is availability of parts and is it viable. Purchased new as commuter, did what it says on the tin, but not sure if this is with it. ANy thoughts appreciated.
ChrisM

Re: 2012 V200 Timing belt failure - engine rebuild?????

Postby timb2117 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi what lousy luck, hope they changed the pulley tensioner at time of belt change? Anyway all done now, darn it. Hey what I am finding as the owner of a 2010 x240 is that the wreckers are full of some good vehicles/ bargains - consider a full engine transplant? What I suspect happens is low kms car (quite a lot of great walls are not used for high kms) the person has a smallish crash and the insurance company instantly writes the car off as it is low value anyway and so the poor insurance company's loss becomes your gain - my local wrecker has a 2010 x240 with just 20,000kms on it!
timb2117
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby apyziakos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:57 am

Just had my timing belt fail as well, although mine happened due to a Nord locking washer under the timing belt tensioner failed. I changed the belt myself 10k kms earlier and when tensioning the belt I was concerned that the tensioner bolt was not locked. I was also concerned that the workshop manual torque spec was too light. So my fault for using the Nord locking washer but had the best intentions in mind. Even had the tension setting (deflection of belt as well) checked by a great wall mechanic.

Regarding a rebuild, you will need to inspect head and block, which I did. I damaged a few rockers and no doubt valves, but on inspection using bore scope camera found cylinder bore damage. At that point I decided to go for a wrecker engine.

Hope this helps.

Adam
apyziakos
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby cosmicsedso » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:24 am

Adam.
What did you end up paying for a wreckers engine and what wreckers?
Cheers
Mick
"It's not a Great Wall. Its sort of like an Alright Wall." Karl Pinkington
cosmicsedso
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby apyziakos » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Mick,

Just looking at engines now at local wreckers near Newcastle. Average price is $2000-3000ish for a 50k-130k km engine.

Adam
apyziakos
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Return to Engine, Exhaust And Fuel Systems