GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Chat about engines, exhaust and fuel system related issues in Great Wall X240, V240, X200 and V200 vehicles

GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Postby Cymro50 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:47 am

Hi to you all
I have a GW Steed 2012 GW4D20 engine which was pressurising the cooling system I have changed the head gasket with new bolts and changed the timing belt.
Problem is it initially started for about 5 seconds and that was it I can't get it to start now at all.
No fault codes ,good fuel pressure, timing is spot on and it will run on brake cleaner,the only thing that is apparent is a very weak injector signal on a scope.
Anybody come across this before,any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Cymro50

Re: GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Postby wardy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Possibly could be air in the fuel line.. Did you bleed the system after putting it back together? Unsure of the specific procedure on this model, as I have a petrol one.. But generally, you would need to bleed any air out of the system, the symptoms you describe sounds exactly like there is air in the fuel system..

This provides a little more info..

great-wall-engines/topic2356.html
wardy
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby Cymro50 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for your reply
Yes it has been primed and I can't really see it as air in the system as the fuel pressure on live data is going up to around 6000psi
Cymro50

Postby justincase42 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:19 pm

The only way I have been able to get them started is start ya bastard / aero start. Continue spraying even when engine is running for a while, the air will eventually bleed out and will then run in its own.
"Bluey"

AMA steps, Uniden UHF, Sony head unit, Reverse Camera, Tinted Windows, Towbar, Steel tray, Snorkel, Dual Batteries (soon to be added: Long Range Fuel Tank, Bull Bar)
justincase42
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby MattCobb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:52 am

Hey mate, how did you go with this? im having the exact same problem after doing a head gasket
MattCobb

Postby morgan351 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm having the same problem anyone got suggestions
morgan351
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby greatestwally » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 pm

And Me! Surely someone has got theirs to start! Exactly the same as first post, started for a couple of seconds then only half firing on one or two cylinders. Have tried a few different combinations of bleeding fuel rail/injectors. On the head gasket note, Vehicle would run hot as soon as it was under load ie uphill or 6th gear into a headwind, cool down as soon as you backed off. We tried chemiweld about a year ago, it helped for about 6 mths before coming back again. Tried Nulon Head gasket repair, it did help but didnt fix it. When the cylinder head was removed found it was blowing combustion gas under sealing ring on head gasket into water jacket(between No.1 & 2 cyl-looked like from No2), hence pressurizing cooling system, but it was not letting coolant into combustion area/sump. Head was fine, got it skimmed while it was off, 3 thou got it level again. Marked all timing spots and belt, all went back together as it came apart and as stated to begin with it started for a few seconds and ran ok before stopping and now wont go. Any suggestions appreciated.... Just thought there might be a trick that would save the Aerostart or towing!
greatestwally
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby Escapable » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 pm

OK .. back to basics:

Firstly, did you change the injectors to different cylinders?
I am assuming they were removed during the head recondition.

These are coded in the ECU to particular cylinders, so if they are incorrect, the engine will not run.
The fact it runs and then cuts out a good indicator it is the ECU that is stopping the engine.

There is little else there to stop the engine running except incorrect installation, however this would have been noticeable when the engine did run - and probably damage the engine.

REMEMBER: In modern vehicles EVERTHING is interconnected and the ECU is the GOD under the bonnet.,
Blue X200 Auto 2013 (Pro Racing OBD Chipped)
Most cars are assembled from Chinese parts: Why not bring in the whole car?
Escapable
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Postby greatestwally » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm

OK , seems like its all sorted now! Yes Escapable the injectors went back in same holes they came out of, we followed the chingenese in the workshop manual for the head gasket R&R....funny how there is no mention anywhere I could find of how to bleed the high pressure fuel system. We did not disturb the low pressure side of the Fuel system so it should have been right(in Theory!). So by taking off intercooler hose at intake manifold and spraying Aerostart in, the engine started and made an unholy rattle so decided not to use that again, went to brake cleaner and engine would run a bit, keep cranking for 10 seconds or so to help it along, sort of running on 1 or 2 cylinders. Went along each injector cracking the line, spray brake cleaner in, attempt to start ,close line when a decent stream of fuel coming out around nut. Give starter motor a rest( Had to hook up jumper leads as well- go easy on the starter motor, who wants to have to fix that as well!) and go to next cylinder and do same, gradually after doing this procedure several times it would run on its own. Then just cracking injector lines ever so slightly when engine running-still running rough, little bits of air would come out without engine stopping. eventually we could rev engine and it seemed to clear up a bit and got better of its own accord after running it at 2-3000 rpm for a bit. Its a two person job the way we did it. Then clean out all the fuel around the injectors.... Anyway all good now, perseverance and a good battery is the answer!
greatestwally
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby Supermoto94 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Out of interest did you remove the engine complete to do the gasket?
I'm not sure if its me - but its a pain in the arse / near impossible to do in the vehicle.
Just about every bolt is just the right position to not allow you average Sidchrome sockets or spanners in there, even the 1/4 and 3/8 drive sets.
I wasted a day stripping off the intake side of the engine along with all the rest of the stuff associated only to go to the exhaust side and run into issues with tin covers under the turbocharger and access to the manifold bolts accordingly.
So now its engine out and do the repair, refit everything bar the plastic cover and throw it back in.
If it doesnt go afterwards I have a $20 says it goes woof in the yard.
Biggest waste of my hard earned money ever.
If only they bothered to retension cylinder heads like the old days.
Cheapskates ...
Supermoto94
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Next

Return to Engine, Exhaust And Fuel Systems