GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Chat about engines, exhaust and fuel system related issues in Great Wall X240, V240, X200 and V200 vehicles

Re: GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Postby JamieP » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:14 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread but am having this issue now. Is there an actual resolution for it?

Car ran hot, drove it in the garage, replaced the head gasket, water pump and thermostat. Started the car, which it did on the third attempt but cut out after a few seconds and now wont restart. I have been running it on aerostart and brake cleaner which it runs but refuses to run on it's own fuel. No codes in the system and fuel pressure is 37,000 Kpa. I have also bled the fuel at the injector pipes (highly dangerous with a CRDi engine) and fuel is definitely up at the injectors. Seems to be an injection issue. Is there a reset for the ECU required after the head replacement or something like that?

I am currently stuck in Sydney and needing to get home to Broken Hill and am at the end of my rope right now. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie
JamieP
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Re: GW4D20 engine won't start after changing head gasket

Postby JamieP » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Just thought I'd put up an update.

I've towed the car home from Sydney and have retraced all the wiring and checked the sensor values, All OK.
I have tested for injector pulse to the injectors and there is no injector pulse. Going to do a pinout test and test all the sensors on the oscilloscope ad see what is going on. I've spoken to 2 Great Wall dealers regarding a reset procedure for the PCM and they tell me there isn't one, although I am not convinced.

I'll put up any updates and hopefully a resolution. May take a while, a bit short of time but we'll see how things go
JamieP
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Previous

Return to Engine, Exhaust And Fuel Systems