Engine misfire & Jerking

Chat about engines, exhaust and fuel system related issues in Great Wall X240, V240, X200 and V200 vehicles

Engine misfire & Jerking

Postby herman72 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone has experienced this with the v240. My vehicle only has 4300km on the clock, the engine has a slight misfire while idling and a jerk, stutter and hesitation when accelerating and after gear changes. I've played around with the plug gaps from 0.8 up to 1.1 (at 1.1 the engine "pings" alot on low revs) but it does not seem to make a difference. Could it be the plugs themselfs? The vehicle is fitted with a "TORCH" brand spark plug from the factory. Here in SA this an unfamilliar brand. I fill up with 93 octane unleaded petrol when in Johannesburg and 95 when down by the coast.
Herman
Herman Augustyn - Johannesburg, South Africa
herman72
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Re: Engine misfire & Jerking

Postby rustyemz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:36 am

i bet its ur crank angle sensor go have it cheacked mate also i run iridium plugs i dont like the standard plugs the code for them aye in my thred
rustyemz
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Greggyf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:55 am

My X240 has been known to jerk around a bit also. Just seems to have a slight miss when you put your foot down, even in low gears.
Can anyone tell me what the "crank angle sensor" actually does, other than cause problems that is?

Thanks,
Greg
Greggyf
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Mitcon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:06 am

These issues could be from a number of things but the two most likely is the fuel itself and the CSA (crank angle sensor).

Quality and the RON (reasearch octane number) of fuel can play a huge factor here, if the fuel is of a poor qaulity or contaminated in some way burning issues will cause these type of problems. The other thing is the RON as it may well be that a cheaper quality of fuel though stated as having a RON of 93 (the min octane rating required for newer/current Petrol GW engines) may be slightly overrated which will cause missing, pining and knocking.

To test the fuel to see if it's just the octane rating not being up to the level advertised you can simply try adding a octane booster to your fuel that can be bought from most petrol stations and auto shops. If once you add a octane booster the engine runs correctly/smoothly that will indicate that the fuel was maybe of a lower octane rating than stated. If this happens you can either buy a higher grade/RON of fuel or if thats not of avail maybe continue buying and adding a suitable octane booster to bring the octane lvel up to spec.

Now the CSA (cank angle sensor) and what they do and how they affect the running of a vehicle. What a CSA does is monitor the carnk shafts position and rotational speed, this information is then sent to the ECU ( engine control unit, which is a basic computer that reads information from sensors in the vehicle and manages how a it runs and has a set program) which uses this information to control engine timing. It's what replaces and does the job of a distributor and manual timing adjustments and is needed in mordern cars which have variable timing.

The CSA is a simple device using a inductive coil and magnets to work garthing information and is pretty much the most important sensor on modern cars today.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby Greggyf » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:16 am

Thanks Wayne, I've heard of the CSA causing issues before and just wondered what it did.
Can you tell me where it is located and would it be advisable to carry a spare. Where I'm going to be living and using the X240 is far from a dealer, so this info will be invaluable to me.

Thanks,
Greg
Greggyf
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Colin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:45 am

Could it also be something as simple as a dicky spark plug lead, leads can fracture internally quite easily, an easy thing to test at your local garage.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Colin
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Mitcon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:15 am

Certainly could be Colin, could be a whole range of things and maybe even something as simple as condensation or a small short somewhere.
Cheers
Wayne

Go low, Go slow.
Mitcon
GWOF Co-founder
GWOF Co-founder

Postby herman72 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm going to measure the values of the CPS if they are correct I'll try a higher octane fuel.
Herman.
Herman Augustyn - Johannesburg, South Africa
herman72
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby eleventy8 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 pm

thanks for the advice
experiencing the same issue on my 4 week old x240. currently sitting at 1800km, so first service has been done. dealer says the car doesnt appear to have any issues, but its performance is less than smooth. i will head down to midas tomorrow and get a second opinion. seems to do it at 2700-4600rpm. i have already removed the sheet of 'wadding' on the air filter, and the little fan blade intake cover, with no change.

will post my results when the car is running smooth.

Lee.
eleventy8
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby grawa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm

howdy Herman.
Your symptoms are similar to ones just rectified by dealer in mine,loose plug behind dash. I would check all your plugs to do with ignition and injection ie separate spray with dwf or similar and refit. Good luck !
grawa

Next

Return to Engine, Exhaust And Fuel Systems