X200 Auto no start after key issue

Wiring, batteries, console and Great Wall compatible electronic gadgets discussion.

X200 Auto no start after key issue

Postby graffiti » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Chaps
Car (2012 X200 auto.75000kms No dramas from new!)was fine . Parked for 10 mins. Went to start again and ignition key had partially separated . Hasn't run since! Got it towed home . I did open the key to replace the battery as a "just in case" measure., got it back together ok. Locks/unlocks ok and brings up ignition lights and cranks but no starting.
Car is currently with a workshop who suspects it is an issue with the key and anti theft/computer setup.
Any experience or suggestions with this issue, ?
Cheers guys
Jim
graffiti
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Re: X200 Auto no start after key issue

Postby graffiti » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Well, after a bit of reading it appears I can start the X200 with the "extra" key as supplied with the car new. I had only thought of this other key as a door opener in case of battery failure of the main key. Can anyone confirm that the second non folding, no buttons key will in fact start the car? To explain, the car is currently with a workshop, and the extra key is with the car but non contactable 'til Monday morning. (yes i'm impatient :oops: )
Cheers
Jim.
2012 X200 auto.
graffiti
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby graffiti » Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Ok here's the update. Things worked out rather well really.... the key issue was an education to me so I thought I would share.
When the problem first arose the folding remote key had just separated slightly around the middle, letting the metal insert part of the key flop around loosely. Unknown to me at the time was the fact inside the plastic fob is a very small capsule shaped unit that when in close proximity to the ring antenna around your ignition key insert point on the steering column, lets the car computer know that "this is the correct key". The computer then shuts down the anti theft system (the flashing red padlock indication in the instrument cluster will go out)) and your car will happily start. Now this tiny unit had dropped out of the fob, was now nowhere near close enough to be effective and of course the anti theft light just keeps blinking away laughing to itself!. Car will crank all day but not start.
At this point we discovered the non remote locking/unlocking key will in fact start the car.
OK... car starts, service done, just have to use two keys now...Until!..a coupla weeks later I was relating my ignition key woes to a mate, who happened to have a Mechanic acquaintance around who heard my sad story. It was this chap who advised me of the capsule inside the key. " where did your key break?" he asked. i told him it happened while in the ignition barrel."let's have a look around the floor" he said.... and promptly FOUND the missing unit!! held it near the original broken key that now started the car!
After thanking him profusely I went home, glued the tiny f*cker back in place and I now have a working remote fob key again.
I hope this (true!) story is able to save others from expensive GW key replacement. ...a little knowledge and all that.. :)
graffiti
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby Escapable » Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 am

Good to hear you now know how it all works Graffiti.
Just to clarify (and this topic has been discussed many times) how the vehicles remotes and keys operate.
The vehicle is supplied with 2 keys: a FOB and a standard key.
FOB: This operates the door locks ONLY and does not have anything to do with the immobiliser until it is inserted in the ignition.
Standard Key: This manually operates the door locks and ignition.
Both Keys operate the ignition AND the immobiliser - the immobiliser operates via a near field chip in the key plastic or FOB (this does NOT require batteries and the FOB batteries only operate the door function - there is no battery in the standard key).
If an incorrect key is inserted in the ignition, the vehicle will turn over and all other functions will be as normal, however the vehicle will not start (the ECU shuts injectors, etc down) and the immobiliser active light will flash on the speedo.
Additional remotes (max=4) can be programmed by the dealer (some locksmiths may have this function) and ALL remotes to be programmed MUST be done at the same time.
ALL vehicles are required to have an immobiliser and most use this system.
NOTE: If you are a beach person, get a key cut for use at the beach and hide the real one in the vehicle as this cut key will operate the doors but will not start the vehicle.
Blue X200 Auto 2013 (Pro Racing OBD Chipped)
Most cars are assembled from Chinese parts: Why not bring in the whole car?
Escapable
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Postby nananancy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am

Reading your info.. Q. What happens if you have no keys and the GW key mechanics have got new key, cannot recode to old immobiliser, purchased whole new immobiliser unit, still not working and now say there is no data on computer, and are awaiting China to send new data????? This is supposedly the crap we have to put up with so called professional GW dealers who 7 weeks down the track are totally full of it and we have no vehicle??? So I just read so much re how to get my vehicle on the road with new keys, but no one has actually been able to recommend where I can go to next from here????? Someone please help me!!!! I'm South East Brisbane based and my vehicle is in the GW car yard northside :oops: :oops: :( :( :(
nananancy
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Return to Electrical and Electronic Systems