Blowing headlights ???

Wiring, batteries, console and Great Wall compatible electronic gadgets discussion.

Blowing headlights ???

Postby danpower » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 am

I have two V240s, one 2012 and one 2014. Both of them absolutely munch headlight globes... I've replaced at least six globes in six months, and I've only had the newer ute for three of those months!

Is this a common issue and if so, is there an easy fix? $20-30 a globe once a year is fine but these utes are popping globes every month or two.
danpower
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Re: Blowing headlights ???

Postby Sasquatch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 am

I have a x200 2013 and the low beam has blown, it is a H7 Philips globe, i have ordered two more to replace both globes and we will see how it goes. Are the Philips Globes faulty as others have mentioned Philips globes blowing.
Sasquatch

Postby Sasquatch » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 am

I forgot to mention in my previous post that when the low beam headlight globe blew, all the lights went out. It took several minutes after turning on and off the headlight switch for the others to work. I don't recall re starting the vehicle as i thought i was in trouble. Did the relay switch for the lights cause all lights to go out and how does it reset. I do recall holding the headlight high beam flasher stick in and they worked before all lights came back on. Has anyone else had this happen?
Sasquatch

Postby X240rob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Good quality globes is the key.
Hyundies are the same, but they like genuine $90 jobbies!!!(im ex hyundies mechanic)

I use Phillips long life. been about a year at least now.
2010 X240, lifted about 2", snorkel, roof rack, awning and "light bar", bouncing about the APY Lands
1974 280SEL Mercedes Benz,
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/ ... %20av2.jpg
X240rob
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby pv4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 am

V200, 2012.

Changed low beam globes for the first time yesterday (4.5 years on), no persistent issues.

Have replaced them with $21 replacements from Supercheap, will update here if they blow early.

I read a few things saying when you change globes to make sure that you don't touch the actual bulb with your fingers when changing, as (I'm assuming moisture from fingers??) it tends to lead to your bulbs blowing very quickly if not straight away. Are you handling the bulbs with your fingers? Just a thought. I made sure when changing mine to not touch the glass bulb.
pv4
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby flyfisher63 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:51 am

My X200 has being blowing headlight globes since new GW cannot find a fault? I do use good quality globes $30 odd dollars a pop, I also use cotton gloves when handling the headlight globes as the grease/acid from your fingers will damage the globes hope this helps.
flyfisher63
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby graffiti » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:46 pm

I've had 3 low beams blow over 5 years and 75000 kms. The issue with handling the globes is the risk of leaving any residue on the bulb glass. Commonly oils from skin but whatever gets on there will cause a hotspot on the glass. There are a few suggestions why this causes the bulb to fail prematurely but whichever is correct, it does happen.
If you suspect the bulb needs a clean, use a cotton cloth dampened with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), or methylated spirits (denatured alcohol).
On the subject of halogen globes, anyone using OSRAM Nightbreakers?
Jim.
2012 X200 Auto.
graffiti
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby kevind » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I have an x200 auto, that keeps blowing low beam globes, had an x240 previously and never had a prob. Seems to be associated with vibration and rough roads, ie rail tracks. Wondering if it has to do with the electric adjusters on the low beam allowing for vibration. I have tried many different globes and they all bust, so now carry a pocket full of $1.99 ones of ebay with me and just keep feeding them to it,, It'll end up being the reason I sell it..............
kevind
Great Wall Wizard
Great Wall Wizard

Postby paul4670 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 pm

strange, i have had my V240 since 09 and only replaced the globes once, only one blew but due to a lot of night driving upgraded to a quality pair so replaced both, have done lots of rough rd's etc before and after and no issues
paul4670
Great Wall Wizard
Great Wall Wizard

Postby connor45 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Too bad to hear these headlight bulb issues on V240s.
connor45
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Next

Return to Electrical and Electronic Systems