Blowing headlights ???

Wiring, batteries, console and Great Wall compatible electronic gadgets discussion.

Re: Blowing headlights ???

Postby Barrel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Our x240 chews through all globes including headlights. Plugged a voltmeter into cig socket and it looks fine normally 13.8v, but in reverse it shoots up to 15.1v!? Spooky stuff. Any obvious ideas?
Barrel

Postby Escapable » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey Barrel, was the first reading with the vehicle engine NOT running?
The obviously is with it running.

At 15volts, this is the MAX of the alternator, I would be having a good look at the battery - is it old or ageing?
Blue X200 Auto 2013 (Pro Racing OBD Chipped)
Most cars are assembled from Chinese parts: Why not bring in the whole car?
Escapable
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Postby danpower » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks for the insight guys, I just can't work it out. One of the utes went in for a service and they replaced all the busted globes, a week later the RH parker goes, a week after that the LH low beam goes, and two weeks after that LH reverse and stop/tail go.

I do put a lot of use on the low beams as I drive with them on full time, but I'm lucky to get a week or two out of the passenger side low beam. It's ALWAYS the passenger side, in fact the parker is the first driver's side globe I've replaced on either ute in over a year.

At the advice of my sparky mate I've hooked up a logging multimeter and laptop to run whenever the vehicle is running, watching for spikes in power (thinking that might indicate a faulty regulator).... nothing after a week of testing... alternator is pumping out a steady 14.2-14.4v. I just went out and specifically tried going to reverse a few times after reading Barrel's comment but nope, it just goes up from 14.2 to 14.4 which could be due to the reverse camera and buzzer creating a little bit more load? Dunno, either way there appears to be nothing out of the ordinary.

I can't handle it much more, I'm going through about $100/month on globes between two utes. I have plans for three more utes in the next month or so but GW's will be off the table if they're going to cost me $600/year per ute just in replacement globes...
danpower
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby danpower » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 pm

@Escapable, why do you ask about the battery age? The battery in one of my utes is a bit old and starting to swell a bit, but performs fine so I haven't done anything about it..
danpower
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby Escapable » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

Danpower:
I ask about the battery condition as when the battery ages, it may require more output from the alternator.
As the quoted battery voltage is in the mod 14's this may indicate that the battery is ageing (and the alternator is attempting to charge it more)?
The nominal battery voltage is 13.8 (say in the 13's), so the over 14's may in fact be too much for the 12 volt bulbs to work with?

To test the battery (simple way):
Put the multimeter on the battery, no load
Start the engine, as revs rise, the battery voltage should remain the same and the voltage should be in the 13-14 range.
Put the high beam on - the voltage should stay the same.
All is good.

NOTE: In vehicles it is best to use an analogue meter, not digital - UNLESS you know what you are doing with the digital meter, as the readings on these can be misinterpreted.
Escapable
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Postby danpower » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:02 am

Hmm that's interesting, I was always under the impression that 13.8-14.8v is a healthy range, anything over 14.8 is where you start worrying..

Anyways I had to replace a parker again and it was a few cents' difference for SCA LEDs vs. Narva halogens so I went LED.. will probably go LED for the fogs and low beams in my ute soon since they'll be a lot sturdier and hopefully less likely to blow. LED parkers look rad :lol:

I'd still like to get to the bottom of the issue as I've got another V240 and am picking up three more this weekend, so I'm looking at $1200-1500 to go LED in all four of those vehicles.. but like I said before this is costing me about $50 per ute per month so maybe in the long run it's worth doing..
danpower
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby KirkyBabee » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi guys have have a 2013 x240 my drivers side headlight keeps blowing I have replaced the globes 3 times already this will be the 4th and the 3rd was only changed 2 weeks ago please help me??? It's making me crazy I got a fine and defect notice from the police coz it happens at random times!! also this time tail light have also gone have brake lights tho...

PLEASE HELP!!!!
KirkyBabee

Postby rhino » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi guys, so I have found that if I don't use the auto function on the headlights, they don't blow so frequently. Maybe something to do with a voltage spike when starting the car. Any thoughts on this theory.
rhino

Postby Escapable » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 am

Some interesting ideas on here of late:

rhino has me in TOTAL agreement in that I don't use the AUTO function either and over the 4 years I have had the car (from new) it has never blown a headlight bulb .. actually no bulbs have blown at all.

As for the vibration, I go 25kms each way to the farm on gravel road and this can be a battlefield at times, so I am hesitant to call this one.

Lets look at the picture:
If you turn a normal incandescent bulb on and off in quick succession it will blow most times - this is due to the rapid heat up and cool down of the filament in the bulb .. maybe rhino has it nailed:
When on AUTO the headlight comes on with the ignition and off when the starter is used, then on again, etc .. maybe??

I have the X200 and it should be almost identical to the x240 when it comes to the electrics around bulbs, etc.
Escapable
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Previous

Return to Electrical and Electronic Systems