Phone Apps

General chit-chat - 4x4 adventures, events and non-4wd related discussions. Discuss anything you like - within reason of course :)

Phone Apps

Postby dunebuggy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Hey folks, I did a bit of a search but to be honest, I've never found what I was looking for on this forum by using the search function so, I'm here to ask a question or three. :D

I have an mobile phone which uses the android operating system and I am looking for one of those applications that calculates your fuel usage/economy etc and I know that there are a few to choose from but.. which one to use?! Do any of you lovely forum folk use such an app? If so, what's it called and what are it's pros & cons as you see them?

Many thanks in advance for your input. :D
dunebuggy
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Re: Phone Apps

Postby deactivated140925 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:08 am

I am a member of the pajero club victoria. They have a monthly mag called Exceed. About 2 or 3 issues ago they compared about three of these with a scanguage. You can download copiesof Exceed from the web site. If not pm me and i will see what i can do. All i can remember is that it cost money to purchase, but gave heaps more info than a scanguage. But having said that the scanguage still had other features that the apps lacked. Have a read and hopefully that will assist you
deactivated140925
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby Coolmango » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

Hi DuneBuggy

I had the same issue, until a mate of mine introduced me to an ODB@ reader. I have one in my GW x240 and not only does it calculate fuel use, performace, economy and.. wow...- it does so much more. For Android look for an app call "torque" and in ebay buy any ELM325 (I think) reader. about $20.00 from anywhere. BTW the GW uses the E _OBD standard/format - but all OBD2 readers I have tried so far seem to work. I have an Iphone so a little different app but same thing.

The Android "Torque app" in the play store is the Bees knees. but use it once you get your OBD2 reader - buy one and you wont be sorry.
X240 series 1 2010.
Coolmango
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby unordung » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 am

+1 coolmango,
I use this app at work flawlessly I tried a few others but Torque is the best. Also with tablet support so you get a nice large customizable readout.
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that, who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!
unordung
Great Wall Fan
Great Wall Fan

Postby Pickles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:46 pm

yeah i hear that
i use the x tool which is around a hunge and downloaded for free the app. for my iPhone
it sends the signal via wifi so you need to click on that in settings once installed and whammo
it does fault codes for both my v200 and the wife's cruze as well as resetting them
you can set it up while driving to give real time data and statistics as well
bloody love it and don't know how i've survived this long without one
pickles

roads. we don't need roads
Pickles
Great Wall Legend
Great Wall Legend

Postby cherryw » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi All,
I use an app call Fuel Log, the paid one. It allows you to use fill ups and added costs to the stats. You can see how much it costs to run your Great Wall and when you enter in your fuel it tells you how it is going e.g. 10.52l/100. it also has an area for stats and graphs. I have used mine since new and just checked that I have used nearly $15000 in fuel. Great app, it is available free and I think about $2.00 for the Pro version. :D
Regards
Wayne

"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
below is the family truckster
cherryw
Great Wall Wizard
Great Wall Wizard

Postby Fev » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:17 am

Is this the one you mean coolmango?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-OBD-2-C ... 614&_uhb=1

Cheers,

Phil
Pearl Black V240 (mine)
White X240 (The wife's)
Fev
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Postby faikwo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:38 pm

I'd spring the few extra bucks and go for a wifi enabled one. I have a bluetooth one and it lags terribly, which may not be all that bad for stuff like fault reading and fuel readings, but when you are looking at the rpms it always lags a good second or so behind
faikwo
Great Wall Convert
Great Wall Convert

Postby Fev » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 am

Ended up buying this one, it may even arrive today :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121259909002 ... 1427.l2649
Pearl Black V240 (mine)
White X240 (The wife's)
Fev
Great Wall Evangelist
Great Wall Evangelist

Return to GWOF Lounge